A metal detector is an electronic instrument that detects the presence of metal nearby. Metal detectors are useful for finding metal inclusions hidden within objects, or metal objects buried underground. They are also used to detect foreign bodies in food or other materials. So, what are some interesting finds that people have made with their metal detectors?
- In 2017, a man in England found a rare Viking treasure worth more than $1.5 million dollars while walking his dog.
- In 2016, a 12-year-old boy in Ohio found a trove of gold and silver coins dating back to the Civil War era while exploring his backyard with a metal detector.
- Also in 2016, a woman in Wales discovered a ring that is believed to be over 400 years old while using a metal detector on the beach.
- In 2015, a man in Scotland found a cache of ancient coins that were worth over $2 million dollars.
- A metal detectorist in England discovered a gold ring that is thought to be from the 16th century. It was found near the site of the Battle of Bosworth Field, which was fought in 1485.
- In 2012, a man in Florida found a gold coin that was minted in 1715 while he was exploring a shipwreck.
- A 22-year-old boy in North Dakota found a stone with an ancient carving of a face while using a metal detector in his backyard. The carving is believed to be over 2,000 years old.
- On a beach in Denmark, a woman discovered a WWII German Messerschmitt plane that had crash-landed there in 1942.
- In 2014, a man in the United Kingdom found a rare gold coin that was minted over 1,000 years ago. The coin is thought to be worth over $160,000.
- While exploring a field in England, a metal detectorist discovered an iron age sword that is believed to be 2,500 years old.
Among some of the most popular cases, a man in California discovered $1.5 million dollars worth of gold coins buried in his backyard. Another man in Colorado found a 52-pound nugget of gold. In Nevada, a group of friends discovered a cache of over 100 gold coins that were dating back to the 1800s.
These are just a few examples of interesting things that people have found with their metal detectors. With so many treasures still out there waiting to be discovered, who knows what you might find if you go on a hunt with your own metal detector!